The South Beach Diet, Paleo, Whole 30, Intermittent fasting, Atkins, Weight Watchers, The Mediterranean Diet… unless you have been living under a rock, you have probably not only heard about these diets but maybe even tried them. There is one diet that has gained momentum recently that is not going away anytime soon, the Ketogenic Diet or (Keto) for short. Studies have shown this high-fat, low-carb lifestyle not only is effective in terms of weight loss, but it can improve your overall health.
What is it?
Keto involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. This reduction in carbs puts your body into a metabolic state called ketosis. When your body enters a ketosis state, your body becomes more efficient at burning fat for energy. In addition, it also turns fat into ketones in your liver, which can supply energy for your brain.
Why does it works ?
Keto is so filling you can lose weight without counting calories or tracking food like other diets. Studies show people on a ketogenic diet lost 3 times more weight compared to those on other calorie-restricted diets. There is a myriad of reasons why the diet is successful but mostly it works because of the increased protein intake. Increased ketones, lower blood sugar levels, and improved insulin sensitivity may also play a key role in the success rate and its popularity.
What foods can you buy at the supermarket ?
Foods that contain 3 grams of net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) per 100 grams of food are the best.
- Lettuce (boston, butter, endive, field greens, iceberg, matcha, romaine, and watercress)
- Greens (collard, kale, mustard, spinach, Swiss chard, and turnip)
- Asparagus, avocados, bok choy, celery, eggplant, herbs, kohlrabi, mushrooms, radishes, rapini (broccoli raab), tomatoes, and zucchini (find recipes for these veggies in our collection of Keto side dishes)
- Beef, chicken thighs, game, lamb, pork, and veal (see our recipes for Keto meals)
- Bacon, hotdogs, organ meats, and sausage
- Fatty fish and white fish (see our recipes for Keto fish meals)
- Crab, lobster, mussels, octopus, oysters, scallops, shrimp, and squid
Best Deli Selection:
- Sliced chicken, corned beef, ham, pancetta, pastrami, prosciutto, roast beef, speck, and turkey
- Sliced chorizo, pepperoni, salami, and soppressata (perfect on our simple Keto plates)
- Prepared chicken salad, egg salad, and tuna salad
Best Dairy Choices:
- Butter and ghee
- Heavy cream
- Softer cheeses (blue, buffalo mozzarella, brie, camembert, colby, goat, gouda) and harder cheeses (cheddar, havarti, mozzarella, parmesan, pepper jack, muenster, provolone, and Swiss)
If followed properly, people who embark on Keto can be extremely successful when it comes to their weight loss goals. Clinic 45 and our Texas Weight Loss Klinic provide consistent care and quality services to individuals based on their specific cosmetic needs. We aim to enhance the partnership between the patient and our medical provider, and we are also dedicated to maintaining the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, honesty, and fairness. Our vision is to be the weight loss center of choice for our patients in Austin, San Antonio & Houston and to provide them with our preeminent care, excellent quality services and a responsible team to tend their needs. Visit us online today for location details, specials, reviews, and more!